Tuesday, April 21, 2015

"anything" - Risk

Our small group met Sunday for our first discussion of Jennie Allen's book "anything, the prayer that unlocked my God and my soul".  I was thrilled to hear that everyone loved the study so far and the message had really resonated with each of them.  I love these women, and I love their transparency. It isn't easy to be open, but they are willing.

We started by asking a question from chapter one:

"How do you give someone God?"  Jennie says her dad did his best to give her God, and as a parent, I can relate to that.  How desperately I wanted to give a relationship with Christ to my children, my family, my friends!  All we can really do is teach about God.  That isn't the same as knowing Him, is it?

"The only exercise that works 100 percent of the time to draw one close to the real God is risk......To risk is to willingly place your life in the hand of an unseen God and an unknown future, then to watch Him come through.  He starts to get real when you live like that."  (page 9)

Risk can be a scary thing.  It perhaps is most frightening if you are a woman - but I might be biased there.  We can love so many things more than our God: children, spouses, jobs, comfort, control.  We can spend lots of effort and time trying to protect these things.  Trying to reduce the risk.

Can you do it?  Can you pray that prayer from the introduction that Jennie prayed?  "God, we (I) will do anything.  Anything."  I asked that in class and got some honest answers.  Some said "No" and some said "Partially".  (which also means no)  What will you say?

Jennie says in chapter one: "I believed He was big enough to save me forever, but now I would have to grow to believe he was big enough to weave in and out of my every day leading me, changing me."

Let's believe like that.



No comments: